Thursday, October 18, 2007

F# to join C# and VB.NET as a core .NET language

Functional programming is very cool and I've been following the development of F#, a functional language from Microsoft Research in Cambridge for the last year or so. A while back I had a go a writing Life in F# and really enjoyed it. I'm now slowly working my way through The Little Schema which is blowing my mind with recursion. Building up basic mathematical building blocks from Add1 and Subtract1 using recursion is great brain food. OK, so it's Scheme and not F#, but the functional principles still apply. But I digress.  Apparently, yesterday, Soma announced that F# will included as an official Microsoft language with full tool support from Visual Studio. It's already pretty mature, definitely good enough for some serious playing, so download it and get currying!

No comments: